Thursday 15 May 2014

Three Races at Trentham Memorial Park - 1980

It's no secret that the "Cross Country" course at Trentham Memorial Park is not one of my favourites. People tell me I should run really well on it because it's basically flat with a couple of humps over the stop bank and another dip or two. Sometimes it even has a stream crossing. The flatness of the majority of the course makes it basically a road run on the grass. This favours the type of runner who can get into a rhythm and stay there, whereas I prefer undulations to break up the rhythm (and give me a rest).

Therefore I was not particularly delighted to find that we had three races over the course in 1980: the Dorne Cup, Wellington Cross Country Champs and National Cross Coutry Champs.

Dorne Cup


This picture shows Alan trailing Kerry Cunningham after taking the hurdle before Barton's Bush. Behind him are Kevin Francis and Gary Weston-Webb. Alan did very well in this, his first big race as a senior, to overtake Kerry and finish fourth. The race was won by Paul Ballinger with Derek Froude second and Dave Hatfield third.


I was a bit further back in the field and can be seen here battling it out with Paul Morten. Steve Denholm is on the right at the fence with Dave Meek further back. I started badly in the race and pulled through somewhat to finish in 16th.

Wellington Cross Country Champs


In this picture Alan is heading Howard Gregory. Howard was always a notorious fast starter and often slipped back later in races. Alan got himself up to third place behind Derek Froude and Dave Hafield but slipped back to sixth by the finish.

Meanwhile further back in the field I battle it out with Steve Hunt. By the look of me, Steve has got the better of me at this point. Graham Macky and Gavin Thorley are further behind. Gavin pulled through to seventh place just behind Alan. I've got no idea where I finished because my diary entries finished before this race. I did get selected for the Wellington team for the Nationals, probably based on a good performance at the Interprovincial Cross Country.

National Cross Country.


Alan at the National Cross Country. The Waikato runner behind him is Malcolm Taylor.

No comments:

Post a Comment