Wednesday 29 October 2014

Wellington Road Champs 1982


Running with Steve Denholm early in the race.
I don't remember much about this race apart from it being a typically hot Masterton day. After having won Wellington titles over 1500 metres in summer and cross country I was keen to add another title to my haul. It wasn't to be. A gutsy young Wellington Harrier by the name of Dallas McCallum (probably in his first year as s senior) threw down the gauntlet and put the pressure on early. In the end he won comfortably in 48:47 with Steve Hunt second in 49:02 and Steve Denholm third in 49:55. I held on for fourth in 50:08 which remains my fastest time over 10 miles.

The photo above was obviously taken early on in the race as I'm looking pretty comfortable. Both Steve and I seem to be looking ahead probably to Dallas and Steve Hunt who had taken off up the road from the start.

A week after this I ran in the 20 Mile Gold Cup again and did my best time ever there as well to finish fifth in 1:54:11. Steve Hunt won that day in 1:50:47. This would pave the way for my second attempt at the Round Rarotonga Road Race.

No comments:

Post a Comment